All properties that are not inserted in tourist complexes and that are rented for holidays, are required by law to obtain a Local Accommodation license.
All properties that are not inserted in tourist complexes and that are rented for holidays, are required by law (DL Lei 62/2018) to obtain a Local Accommodation license. If you rent your property, directly or indirectly, even through websites outside Portugal without the leave, you are at risk of being fined. Most Owners have the idea that obtaining a Local Accommodation License is a complex, expensive and time-consuming process, we can guarantee to all Owners of holiday homes in the Algarve, that the process will be simple, fast and with reduced costs, the process usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.
To obtain the Local Accommodation License, the following will be required:
- Inspection of gas or water heater
- Electrical inspection
- Fire and assembly material (1x 2kg fire extinguisher and respective signs, 1x blanket and signs, 1x first aid box and respective signs, 1x smoke detector, 1x 112 plate, 1x electrical panel plate). The extinguisher and signs must be per floor.
- Physical Complaints Book (still required)
- Complaints Book online
- Property registration at SEF
- Send information to the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF). This information is necessary for all foreign citizens who are holiday tenants, whether from the Member States of the European Union or from nationals of third countries. This obligation falls on companies that operate hotel establishments, complementary means of tourist accommodation and tourist complexes, as well as those that provide, for consideration, accommodation for foreign citizens. Communication must be made within three days to the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF).
- Local accommodation establishments are required to have an information book on the operation of the establishment and the respective rules for internal use, namely including rules on the collection and selection of urban waste, noise and care to be taken to avoid disturbances that cause discomfort and affect the tranquility and rest of the neighborhood, which must also contain the telephone contact of the person in charge of operating the establishment. This book should be in 4 languages.
- In case the establishments are inserted in collective housing buildings, the information book must also contain the regulation with the condominium practices and rules that are relevant for the accommodation and for the use of the common parts.
- The person in charge of the establishment must provide the condominium with his telephone contact.
- For apartments, it is mandatory to display, next to the establishment's entrance, an identification plate.
- The responsable of the rentals must have a multi-risk civil liability insurance that protects him from his assets and claims in the scope of his tourist activity, determining the liability of the owner of the establishment's exploration, and that it covers dimension and non-patrimonial risks caused to guests and to third parties.
- Gas inspection must be carried out every 3 years (article 21 of DL nº59 / 2018 of 21 August, which changed some points in article 21 of DL 97/2017 of 10 August)
- Maintenance of fire extinguishers must be carried out annually.
Book your appointment for clarification with our accommodation director, Claudia Gama.
Consultation available via Skype, Whatsapp, telephone, email or in person at our office in Vilamoura